Friday, September 23, 2011

Yellow Prayer Journal

My original idea for this was vastly different. I saw this post and thought it would be wonderful for a cover page:
I know, its gorgeous. But it wasn't meant to be. Sometimes the art process just sucks. After designing the text (Lord's Prayer), I transferred it over carefully with the blender pencil. I had a lot of text. It took forever. FOREVER. The colorless blender pencil, which was a Lyra, went dull in about 1o seconds. Finally got it transferred over, put down all the pigments. Then as I'm wiping away the paint from my lovely line work, my towel somehow came into contact with the dark blues on my watercolor palette. And I didn't see it. Until it ended up on my nice clean yellow cover. !#$@#$. Keep your station clean Heather...
Then I repeated the process all over again. Thinking the entire time that it would be so much easier to do it digitally. But after finishing the second cover, I still wasn't happy with it. Some of my text was small, and the white text on yellow was just too hard to read.
So I ended up with this instead, and I am quite happy. The cover is just a basic watercolor wash and laying some saran wrap over some of the final layers to give it some texture. I'd love to try the tutorial again, but I'm going to try it with bigger text, darker colors, and possibly a different brand of pencil.

Its the first time I've added button closures onto a book. We'll see how well I fastened it. Its also the first time I've used watercolor paper as a cover paper. I'm experimenting with coats of Krylon protective coatings and polyurethane. With luck, it will protect the book from yucky fingerprints marks and oils.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment